- Ingredients for Dressing:
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup raw apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Ingredients for Salad:
- ¾ cup hulled barley
- ½ cup frozen petite peas, thawed1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- ½ cup zucchini, diced
- ½ cup carrot, diced
- 12 small cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup frozen corn, thawed
- ½ cup red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill (or dried)
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 6 cups Spring Mix, or other leafy green salad mix
In a medium saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add barley, reduce heat and simmer, until barley is tender and chewy, about 40 to 50 minutes. Drain barley in a colander and rinse with cold water. Allow barley to cool to room temperature or cool it faster by refrigerating it.
While barley is cooking, combine dressing ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Whisk until well combined. Set aside.
Dice the celery, carrots, red onion and zucchini. Cut cherry tomatoes in half. Place them all in a large bowl with the corn and peas.
When barley is cooled, add it to the bowl. Add in the minced fresh dill and the dressing, then toss to mix thoroughly.
To serve, line individual salad plates with 1 cup Spring Mix. Spoon ½ cup barley mixture into center. Sprinkle with feta cheese. Serve immediately.
This recipe is from our ministry: Faith and Food. If you haven’t checked Faith and Food out, make sure you sign up for new recipes along with faith and food tips!